Monterrey is recognized as one of the most important cities of the Mexican Republic due to it great industrial activity and development. However, there are some curious facts around its history.
Here we share some fun facts you may not know about Monterrey:
1. On October 23th 1913, during the fight General Pablo González wanted to take the city of Monterrey, which was commanded by the Federals. After winning a battle near the Topo Chico hill, instead of taking the whole city, they decided to quarter in San Nicolas de los Garza, but a brewery nearby where they got drunk was guilty of not letting them to take the city.
2. On March 13th 1915, General Francisco Villa arrived to Monterrey and stayed at Ancira Hotel for about 11 days, the funny part was that he ordered a room for his horse.
3. Latin America had its first radio station in the city of Monterrey, it was the XEH; and years after, the first FM radio station in Mexico, was established as well in Monterrey, it was called Stereo Rey in the frequency 92.5 FM.
4. The famous Macroplaza in Monterrey, built between 1980 and 1985, is a 40-hectares area, a space two times bigger than the Red Square in Moscow, five times bigger than the Saint Peter Square in Vatican City and six times bigger than the Zocalo in Mexico City.
5. Vitro is the third largest producer of glass containers in the world and Cemex is also the 3rd largest cement company in the world and number one in America, both of them are from Monterrey.
6. Monterrey is the only city in the world, outside Rome, Italy, that has more basilicas.
7. The city of Monterrey is where there is greater consumption of Coca-Cola per inhabitant in the world.
Monterrey is a city that all along it history has held great happenings, like the visit of three Presidents of the United States, big diplomatic events and nowadays it is one of the most developed cities in the country. It has also a great range of tourist attractions ideal to enjoy on your next visit, whether it’s for business or pleasure.
In Best Western Plus Royal Courts you will find the best lodging option for your upcoming visit to the City of Mountains, its great location will allow you to move easily around the city and its comfortable rooms will wait for you on your return for a relaxing moment of rest after touring around Monterrey.
Visit bwroyalcourts.com and discover incredible rates and special offers.